Mrs. Morris suggested we purchase these magazines for our students this year! We use them to better prepare our students for the OAA and to teach the following Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.1 Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.2 Identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.3 Describe the connection between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to agrade 2 topic or subject area.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.6 Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.8 Describe how reasons support specific points the author makes in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.9 Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.10 By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2–3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
Each article comes with a lesson plan, an activity master and an assessment!
I love this option. Even though the students have their own copy, I still like to project the articles on the Smart Board for whole group instruction.
We can highlight, circle, ect.
Here are a few printables that I made to expose my students to similar questions that are on the OAA & Reading Diagnostics.
These questions support the NEW Ohio Reading Diagnostics.
Click HERE to download FREE copy!Pin It